Pittsboro, NC – The Chatham County Collection Centers’ swap shops re-opened on Monday, April 19, 2021. Since re-opening, the swap shops have been overrun with items that are not acceptable.
“The Swap Shops are a place for residents to leave and take gently used items, so someone else can use them and they do not have to be disposed of in a landfill,” said Kevin Lindley, Chatham County Environmental Quality Director. “Since re-opening, residents have been placing items in the Swap Shops that are not acceptable, from bags of actual trash to oversized items. We want to take this opportunity to remind residents about what items are and are not accepted in the Swap Shops, as it has been overwhelming for our attendants to try to manage.”
The following items are NOT Accepted at the Swap Shops:
- Items too large to fit in the Swap Shop or for one person to carry (which would include large pieces of furniture, construction materials, etc.)
- Adult materials
- Chemicals or cleaners
- Clothing that is dirty, torn, or wet (these can be put into the green clothing recycling bin)
- Food or beverages
- Mattresses (bed, futon, sleeper sofa) or box springs
- Medicine or medical devices
- Personal care products
- TVs larger than 25 inches or electronics weighing more than 50 pounds
- Weapons or ammunition
The following are examples of items that are accepted at the Swap Shops. Items should be gently used and in working condition:
- Art, films, music, etc.
- Books & magazines
- Clothes & shoes
- Furniture (small)
- Household items & decorations
- Small appliances
- Small electronics- residents should remove all personal information
- Sporting equipment
Residents are reminded that they must have a 2021 Collection Center decal to use the Collection Centers, including the Swap Shops. Items placed in the Swap Shops are available on a first-come, first-served basis and items cannot be set aside for future pickup. Residents are limited to two 15-minute visits per day at the Collection Centers.
Local donation stores, like Habitat for Humanity and the PTA Thrift Stores, can take some items that are not accepted in the Swap Shops. Please contact them directly for details.
Learn more about Solid Waste & Recycling at chathamcountync.gov/recycle. Residents who have questions may contact the Main Office Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at (919) 542-5516 or at .