Raleigh, NC – The NC State men’s basketball team will host its lone exhibition game of the 2018-19 season Monday, Oct. 29 as the Wolfpack takes on the Chowan University Hawks. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. inside PNC Arena.
All tickets for the exhibition cost $5 and all seats are general admission. The game will be streamed on ACC Network Extra, available online or through the WatchESPN app.
– NC State is entering year two with Kevin Keatts as head coach. Last season, Keatts led the Pack to a 21-12 record and a return to the NCAA Tournament. Picked to finish 12th in the ACC preseason poll, Keatts’ first team at NC State went 11-7 in conference play and finished in a tie for third place. It was the highest regular season finish in the ACC for NC State since the 2003-04 team finished in second place.
– Keatts’ 21 regular season wins tied him with legendary coach Everett Case (21-4) in 1946-47 for the most regular seasons wins in the first year as head coach of the Pack.
– The Pack returns three starters from last season, but that is all the returnees the program has this season. NC State welcomes 10 newcomers to the team this season after the program lost nine letterwinners from last year’s team.
– Senior guard Torin Dorn, junior guard Markell Johnson and sophomore guard Braxton Beverly all return for the Pack. Dorn is the leading returning scorer (13.9) and rebounder (6.3) for the Pack, while Johnson returns after leading the ACC in assists (7.3) last season. Beverly averaged 9.5 points and 3.9 assists in 31 games as a freshman last season. His 3.27 assist-to-turnover ratio led the ACC and was the best ratio by a freshman in conference history. Beverly broke his left hand in practice last week and will miss the beginning of the season.
– The Pack also has three transfers that were with the program last season, but sat out the season to satisfy NCAA transfer requirements. Junior C.J. Bryce, sophomore Devon Daniels and sophomore Blake Harris were all with NC State last season. Bryce played for Keatts at UNCW for two seasons before transferring to NC State. Bryce was UNCW’s leading scorer in the 2016-17 season, averaging 17.4 points per game for a 29-6 team. Daniels started 26 of 29 games as a freshman at Utah in the 2016-17 season. He averaged 9.9 points per game and shot 57.1 percent from the field. Harris started nine of 14 games at Missouri last season before electing to transfer at the beginning of January. The Chapel Hill native joined NC State in January and received a waiver to be immediately eligible with the Pack this season.
– Keatts brought in two grad transfers to this year’s team; Eric Lockett and Wyatt Walker. Lockett averaged 14.3 points per game at Florida International last season. Walker only appeared in two games last season before being sidelined with an injury. Walker averaged 12.9 points and 9.7 rebounds per game at Samford as a sophomore. The Jacksonville, Fla., native has two years of eligibility with the Pack.
– The Pack added a signing class of four players this season. DJ Funderburk, Manny Bates, Jericole Hellems and Ian Steere all joined the Pack this summer. Funderburk is a sophomore after playing last season at Northwest Florida State. Bates, Hellems and Steere are all true freshmen. Bates will miss this season after injuring his shoulder in August.
– NC State’s first regular season contest is Tuesday, Nov. 6 when the Pack hosts Mount St. Mary’s at 7 p.m. inside PNC Arena.