Pittsboro, NC – The 190 animals removed by Chatham County Animal Services from unsafe and unsanitary conditions on July 15 have been officially surrendered to the county and many will soon be available for adoption through several placement organizations.
“We are relieved that this key step is behind us so that we can move toward the animals finding appropriate forever homes,” said Leigh Anne Garrard, director of Chatham County Animal Services. “Our main goal from the beginning has been to ensure positive placements for all animals involved and we have worked diligently with many partners to make sure that happens.”
Kim Alboum, director of the Emergency Placement Partner Program for The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) said, “Many of our wonderful Emergency Placement Partners in the Southeast will be receiving animals from this case over the next few days. Our partners are ready and waiting to get them started on the next part of their journey.”
Some cats and dogs will come to Chatham County Animal Services shelter for placement, but HSUS will oversee the majority of animals with the help of several Emergency Placement Partners in North Carolina and the region to handle continued medical care, healing and adoption.
“It will take a few days to get all the animals moved. We certainly hope that Chatham residents will contact our shelter,” said Garrard, “Regardless of this incident, adoptions from our shelter help us serve more animals in need.”
Garrard added that any animals from the rescue that go through the county shelter may face some additional requirements due to their specific needs.
A list of HSUS partners that will have some of the rescued animals for adoption include:
* Chatham County Animal Shelter, http://chathamnc.
* Chatham Animal Rescue & Education (CARE), Pittsboro, NC, has one cat, www.chathamanimalrescue.org
* Safe Haven for Cats, Raleigh, NC http://safehavenforcats.org/, Raleigh NC
* SPCA of Wake County, www.spcawake.org
* Horse Helpers of the High Country, Boone, NC, horses, pig and goat, http://horsehelpersnc.org
* Carolina Waterfowl Rescue, Indian Trail, NC, poultry only, www.carolinawaterfowlrescue.
* Norfolk SPCA, Norfolk, VA, www.norfolkspca.com
* Virginia Beach SPCA, Virginia Beach, VA, http://vbspca.com
* Angels of Assisi, Roanoke VA, www.angelsofassisi.org
* Lost Dog and Cat Rescue, Arlington VA https://lostdogrescue.org
* Washington Animal Rescue League, Washington DC www.warl.org
Each organization will have its own application form and requirements.