By Gene Galin
Pittsboro, NC – There was a sneak peek inside the new Lowes Foods before their grand opening on Thursday morning. I took advantage of the opportunity to chat with chef Dustin Marshall who shared his insights about the SmokeHouse section of the new grocery store.
Smoking food is an age-old culinary technique that infuses rich flavors and tenderness into various ingredients. At Lowes Foods in Pittsboro, Chef Dustin Marshall has spearheaded the SmokeHouse section, where he employs traditional methods and quality ingredients to create an array of tantalizing smoked dishes.
The Art of Smoking Foods
Chef Dustin emphasizes the commitment to authenticity in the smoking process at Lowes Foods. They use a full Southern Fried smoker, employing real hickory wood chips to infuse rich flavors into their smoked dishes. Unlike some establishments that opt for quick-smoking methods, Lowes dedicates time and effort, smoking their ingredients at a steady temperature of 225 degrees Fahrenheit. The smoking times vary depending on the dish, ranging from two and a half to three hours for ribs, and over 12 hours for brisket and pork, ensuring perfect tenderness and taste.
A Wide Array of Smoked Delights
The SmokeHouse section at Lowes Foods offers an extensive selection of smoked foods. From classic smoked ribs, brisket, and pork to unique options like smoked mac and cheese, collard greens, and beans, the menu caters to different palates. Customers can indulge in tender ribs that have been smoked for two and a half to three hours. The brisket and pork are slow-roasted for over 12 hours, resulting in unrivaled succulence. For those seeking unique vegetarian options, Chef Dustin has introduced smoked cauliflower, which originated from customer requests for vegetarian smoked options.
Chef Dustin has found that customers who taste the smoked meats and dishes at Lowes Foods are often left impressed and eager to purchase more. The SmokeHouse team takes pride in offering samples to customers.
Wings Wednesday: A Sizzling Deal
Lowes Foods takes its smoked food experience a step further with their Wings Wednesday promotion. Every Wednesday night, customers can pick up mouthwatering smoked chicken wings for just 33 cents each. With a variety of flavors and sauces available, customers can customize their wings to suit their preferences. I’ll be coming back to take advantage of this tasty and remarkable deal.
Savor the Smoke
For those visiting Lowes Foods in Pittsboro, the SmokeHouse section is a must-visit destination. By using real hickory wood chips, employing slow cooking techniques, and embracing innovative recipes, Lowes Foods sets itself apart. The menu showcases a wide range of options that cater to different tastes and dietary preferences. Whether it’s the tender ribs, smoked pork or turkey, the smoked mac and cheese, or the innovative smoked cauliflower, every bite at Lowes Foods promises to be a flavor-packed experience.
For more information and updates, visit Lowes Foods’ official website or contact their customer service.
You can watch or listen to my discussion with chef Dustin Marshall on YouTube
00:04 Lowes Food SmokeHouse uses real hickory wood chips in their smoker
- Lowes Food SmokeHouse is in full production for their grand opening
- The SmokeHouse is Dustin’s kingdom and they use a full Southern Fried smoker with real hickory wood chips
01:02 Smoking meats and vegetables is a popular cooking method.
- Meats like brisket and pork are smoked for over 12 hours at 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Other foods like chicken bites, mac and cheese, collard greens, and beans are also smoked.
02:02 Lowes showcases quality products with real smoker
- Smoked cauliflower is a new vegetarian option inspired by customer requests
- Food service team, including the president, is involved in cooking and showcasing the food
03:00 Lowes’ chicken has fresh hot chicken available at different times of the day
- Hot chicken is available in the morning, afternoon, late afternoon, and evening depending on business
- Dustin has been with Lowes for a year and a half and is part of a tight food service team that bounces ideas off each other
04:18 SmokeHouse section has delicious food
- Menu items include smoked wings, mac and cheese, ribs, and turkey
- Guests can request sauce on smoked wings and SmokeHouse staff will accommodate
05:21 Discussing food options at The Smokehouse
- Jalapeno corn tops and collard greens are good options
- Killer brownies are a great dessert and beer or wine pair well with the food
06:20 Great smoked meats lead to high sales
- Breaking in the smoker is important for best results
- Customers are impressed with the taste and often buy more
07:11 New Lowes Foods store has a great culture and fantastic chefs
- Employee enjoys working with Food Service team
- Smoked turkey is a recommended dish for Grand Opening