Siler City, NC – Community members of all ages are invited to join the Chatham Soil and Water Conservation District for Creek Geeks Field Day on Saturday, April 22, 2023, from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Boling Lane Park located at 302 South Fir Avenue, Siler City, NC 27344. This event is free and open to the public. The rain date for this event is April 23.
The Town of Siler City installed Best Management Practices (BMPs) at Boling Lane Park such as wetlands and riparian buffers. Chatham Soil and Water Conservation staff will provide tours of the park, where they will discuss the BMPs, native vegetation, and the overall benefits for the Loves Creek Watershed.
Attendees will be able to participate in several interactive activities including:
• Explore some of the techniques used in stream health assessment and water quality testing in the creek running along Boling Lane Park.
• Search for macro invertebrate critters living in the creek.
• Measure chemical and physical parameters to assess the water quality.
• Using an EnviroScape watershed model, learn how nonpoint source pollutants affect waterways.
• Learn how to make small changes, as individuals and collectively, which add up to a large impact.
Each of these activities will repeat every 45 minutes to give attendees a chance to visit all of them. The Chatham Soil and Water Conservation District will distribute educational activity books as well.
Residents who wish to attend are asked to register online HERE. Please be prepared to sign waivers at check-in on the day of the event.
Questions about this event may be directed to Brandy Oldham, Chatham Soil and Water Conservation District Administrator and Education Coordinator at (919) 545-8440 or .