Raleigh, NC – The NC State men’s basketball team returns to PNC Arena Wednesday evening to host Virginia Tech.
Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. and the game will be televised on the ACC Network.
– Eighth-ranked Duke shot 58.3% (a season-best for an NC State opponent) and outscored the Pack, 58-38, in the paint to win, 88-73, on Saturday afternoon inside Cameron Indoor Stadium.
– Freshman guard Terquavion Smith led NC State in scoring for the second consecutive game, finishing with 19 points against the Blue Devils.
– Smith has started the last 11 games for NC State. He is averaging 17.8 points per game since joining the starting lineup and has hit at least three three-pointers in eight of the 11 games. He is averaging 3.43 three-pointers per game in ACC play which is the most of any player in the conference.
– Redshirt sophomore guard Dereon Seabron posted his 10th double-double of the season with 16 points and 10 rebounds at Duke on Saturday. Seabron has now led NC State in scoring nine times, in rebounding 17 times and in assists 12 times this season. He is the only player in the ACC to lead his team in scoring, rebounding, assists and steals.
– Sophomore Ebenezer Dowuona tied his career-highs in points (10) and rebounds (9) against Duke. All nine of his rebounds were offensive and tied for the fourth-most in program history in a single game.
– The Pack grabbed 22 offensive rebounds on Saturday at Duke. NC State leads the ACC and ranks 28th in the NCAA with an average of 12.89 offensive rebounds per game. Redshirt sophomore Dereon Seabron leads the ACC and ranks 18th in the NCAA with an average of 3.44 offensive rebounds per game. With 232 offensive rebounds this season, the Pack has almost reached its total from all of last season (245 in 25 games).
– Get back to the foul line. NC State has attempted the 13th most free throws in NCAA DI this season with 368 (20.4 attempts per game), but has attempted just 16 in the last two games. NC State attempted 77 more free throws than its opponents in non-conference play, but in ACC play, the Pack’s opponents have attempted 29 more free throws than the Pack.
– NC State has made 29 steals in the last three games and in ACC only games now ranks fourth in steals and third in turnover margin at +2.57.
– Thomas Allen Stepping up: Senior guard Thomas Allen missed the final eight games of last season because of an ankle injury and his senior season got off to a slow start as well. Through the first 10 games he played in this season, Allen had made only six field goals and scored 18 points total. But Allen has been a different player since coming back from Christmas break. In the first game after the break, Allen was 6-of-10 shooting and scored 13 points off the bench for NC State. Overall, in 10 games before Christmas, Allen averaged 1.8 points per game. In the six games since coming back from Christmas break, Allen is averaging 8.3 points per game and has passed out 17 assists while committing just three turnovers.
Recap of NC State’s win at Virginia Tech on Jan. 4
– The Pack held Virginia Tech without a point for over four minutes in the final five minutes of the game to help turn a 59-58 deficit into a 68-63 win.
– NC State led 58-50 with 7:44 to go, but the Hokies went on a 9-0 run to take a 59-58 lead on a lay-up by Justyn Mutts with 4:54 to play. After Mutts lay-up, Virginia Tech wouldn’t score again until 34 seconds remained in the game.
– NC State outrebounded Virginia Tech, 36-26. The Pack outrebounded the Hokies, 21-9, in the second half and had 11 of its 14 offensive rebounds in the final 20 minutes.
– Dereon Seabron posted a double-double with 21 points and 10 rebounds. He finished the game 8-of-14 shooting and also had a team-high three assists. Seabron scored 17 of his 21 points in the second half. Terquavion Smith added 17 points and seven rebounds Jericole Hellems finished with 15 points.
NC State – Virginia Tech Series
– Wednesday is the 60th meeting between the two programs. NC State leads the all-time series, 40-18. The NCAA’s IARP ruled in December that the Pack must vacate the program’s 104-78 win inside PNC Arena on Jan. 4, 2017.
– Kevin Keatts is 1-2 against Virginia Tech as head coach of NC State.