Pittsboro, NC – As of July 1, 2021, residents who have a water tap and/or meter installed on their property in Chatham County will pay more for these services. The fee increases are necessary in order to cover the costs that Chatham County incurs to install taps and set meters. Fees will also be increasing for fire flow testing, hydrostatic pressure testing and bacteriological sampling. It has been more than a decade since Chatham County Public Utilities has increased its fees.
Below is the list of increased fees:
- Meter Set (Installation) Fee – previously $200, increased to $250
- Tap Fee (standard ¾ tap) – previously $1,000, increased to $1,400
- Fire Flow Testing – previously $50, increased to $160
- Hydrostatic Pressure Test on new construction – previously $70, increased to $80
- Bacteriological Sampling on new construction – previously $35, increased to $160
“The previous fees did not cover the cost Chatham County incurs to conduct these services,” said Chatham County Public Utilities Director, Larry Bridges. “The additional fees will cover the cost of materials and labor to perform each service as the county continues to experience increased development.”
The fee changes can be found on the Chatham County website where Water Fees and Rates are provided. Residents may call 919-542-8270 if they have questions.