By Ted Williams
Bynum, NC – Bynum Front Porch is a 501(c)(3) non-profit and 100% volunteer organization whose mission is to preserve the history, identity and supportive atmosphere of the village of Bynum. Bynum Front Porch is a community-funded non-profit venture.
We maintain the Bynum General Store and grounds as a community center and a performance venue. We hold community picnics and dinners. We produce music and storytelling shows throughout the year. We host workshops, jam sessions and Scouts. We offer the store to individuals and other non-profits for gatherings. We give $1000 educational grants to three Chatham County students who are the first in their families to go to college. We need you!
Bynum Front Porch credits our success to our volunteers. There is something truly unique about this little community gathering spot and none of this would be possible without our dedicated group of volunteers. We ask that you join us in support of our community, our gathering spot, and our important missions. Volunteering gives one the opportunity to deepen friendships and strengthen the community.
Volunteer opportunities include:
Hosting a night at the music series or storytelling – set-up, helping performers, welcoming guests and breaking down.
Workdays – maintaining our facility and helping us get ready for the many events at the Bynum General Store.
Volunteering on one of the BFP Committees:
- Newsletter Committee – organizes and creates a neighborhood informational printed newsletter two times a year. Newsletters are hand delivered to each Bynum resident.
- Store Use and Programming – oversees community use of store, handles requests, generates calendar and ideas for programs: FUN days and community events.
- Building and Grounds – organizes quarterly work days and specific projects as needed, mowing and maintenance of the grounds.
- Storytelling – organizes and supports the storytelling events.
- Music – schedules music shows, organizes vendors and event coordination.
- Fundraising – develops, organizes and coordinates fundraising activities and events.
- Public Relations – develops and coordinates communication efforts, including on-line, social media, and web presence.
- Educational Grant – oversees the educational grant selection process.
- Volunteer Coordinating – notifies community, schools and non-profits of volunteer opportunities, maintains volunteer contact list and volunteer contribution information, develops potential board members.