Pittsboro, NC – The Chatham Artists Guild (CAG) has announced that they have opened their annual membership applications. Artists 18 years of age or older, in all mediums, that reside in or work out of a studio in Chatham County may apply. The deadline for application is February 14.
“We have streamlined the application process,” said Gina Harrison, CAG President. “Applicants can visit our website to begin their application with a small entry fee they pay online.”
CAG was founded on the concept of creating an artists’ collective. New members are offered the opportunity to connect with a supportive community of working artists. In addition, all members benefit from greater exposure with a profile page and image gallery hosted on the Guild’s website. Finally, new members may opt to join the organization’s signature event, the annual studio tour.
Held the first two weekends in December, the annual tour of artist studios was the first of its kind in North Carolina and remains instrumental in building community among local artists. The highly respected art venue connects the public with Chatham County artists, providing a rare glimpse into the creative process. New artists receive mentoring and support for the event to ensure their success.
“Now is the time for artists of all kinds to join the Guild and become part of their future in, what is expected to be, a blockbuster year as the country emerges from the pandemic,” added Harrison.
Why Join the Guild?
- Connect with other members in a supportive community of active Chatham County artists, with the objective of developing and sharing knowledge, skills, resources, and sales/exhibition opportunities.
- Maintain your own personal artist’s page on the Guild website, including studio videos, a gallery of up to 25 images of your work, social media connections and contact information, plus the opportunity for an online sales portal.
- Submit news items/media/features for the bi-monthly CAG newsletter distributed to more than 1100 subscribers.
- Participate in the annual studio tour and other Guild exhibition opportunities.
Who Can Apply for Membership?
- Application for Guild membership is open to professional working artists and craftspeople 18 years of age or older.
- The applicant has a working studio located within Chatham County.
- Every member will assume the responsibilities of Guild membership, including:
- Make a meaningful contribution to the Guild purpose and mission.
- Attend Guild member meetings (three annually).
- Maintain the integrity and currency of all information, images, and videos on your artist’s page on the Guild website.
- Actively participate in Guild activities and committees.
- All members are expected to actively participate in Guild activities as outlined above, but new members may wish to “get to know” the guild before committing to the studio tour and exhibitions. After three years of non-participation in the studio tour or Guild exhibitions, returning members will need to reapply and be juried back into the Guild.
New Member Jury Selection Criteria
- New members are juried into the Guild by a jury of Guild members.
- Applications are juried blind – we look at the images of your work and read your artist’s statement, but the jurors do not know the names of the applicants.
- Specific criteria when viewing images of the applicant’s work are:
- Quality: The artist demonstrates the ability to make high-quality artwork.
- Technical proficiency: the artist displays skill in the chosen medium.
- Consistency: the artist has a consistent and coherent body of work.
- Originality: The artist’s work demonstrates creativity and originality.
- Presentation: the artist has submitted high-quality digital images. A professional image is evenly lit and shows the work to its best advantage without background distractions or unnecessary display props.
Learn more about the Guild and the application process, member benefits and requirements at www.chathamartistsguild.com.