Pittsboro, NC – The Chatham County Challenge is a virtual walk, run, or bike challenge that will take place September 1- 30, 2020. Bikers are challenged to complete a 100k (62 miles) and runners/walkers are challenged to complete a 50k (31 miles). Participants will be asked to track their miles through a mobile app called Map My Fitness and must sign up through the app no later than August 31.
The top 25 bikers and top 25 walkers/runners with the most distance logged in the Map My Fitness challenge will receive a free T-shirt. A weekly leader board and end of challenge winners will be announced on the Parks and Recreation website, Facebook, and Instagram.
We recommend using your smart phone to log workouts with Map My Fitness. If you choose to log workouts on your smart-watch, technical issues will need be addressed directly with Map My Fitness or your smart-watch manufacturer.
How to participate in the Chatham County Challenge:
- Follow the instructions below to get started with Map My Fitness.
- Email Mallory Peterson by clicking the email address , the subject line is pre-filled out for you, please list the participant name(s) in the body of the email. If you do not email Mallory, you will not be eligible for a T-shirt.
How to get started with the Map My Fitness app:
- To download, please visit your smartphone’s app store to get the free Map My Fitness application.
- Once the app is downloaded, set up a profile.
- After your profile is set up, please search for us under “Friends.” To get to the “Friends” tab, click on the three dots/dashes on the top or bottom of your screen and then choose “Friends.”
- On the next screen, click “Find or (+).”
- Search for “ChathamCounty Challenge.”
- Tip: ChathamCounty is listed as one word.
- Tip: Look for this image as our profile picture. à
- Send us a friend request.
- Once you have requested to be our friend, we will send you an invite to join all 3 challenges. They will be listed as “Chatham County Challenge: Walk”
“Chatham County Challenge: Run” and “Chatham County Challenge: Bike.”
- Navigate back to your Map My Fitness main page.
- Accept either 1, 2, or all 3 of the invites to the challenge by clicking the trophy button at the bottom of the screen and choosing “New Challenges.”
- Choose the “Chatham County Challenge” you would like to participate in.
- Click “Join Challenge” at the bottom of the screen to begin participating.
- If you wish to only participate in 1 or 2 of the challenges, you can decline an invitation to participate in the other challenge.
How to track your workouts on your smart phone:
- The app’s home page is the “Track Workout” screen. If you find yourself needing to return to this page but don’t know how, tap the stopwatch icon in the middle of the navigation menu along the bottom of the screen.
- Once you have been accepted to a challenge and you are able to view your profile on the leader board you can start logging in workouts to count towards the challenge starting on September 1st.
- Make sure to choose your activity as either “Walk, Run or Bike” in the top corner of the screen. The Map My Fitness Chatham County Challenge will ONLY record your workout and count it as part of the challenge if you choose either ” Walk, Run, or Bike” activity, according to the challenge you are participating in.
- Once your workout settings are correct, tap “Done” to return to the Track Workout screen. Then tap the green “Start Workout” button to begin recording workout.
- After you start recording a workout, the app will track your route and display your workout statistics, including distance, duration, pace and calorie burn.
- To pause your workout, tap the “Pause Workout” button. Once paused, you can either resume your workout or end your workout. To end your workout, hold down the “HOLD TO FINISH” button.
- Your results will automatically be added to your individual stats on the Chatham County Challenge leaderboard.
How to track workouts using your smart-watch:
- Please note that we advise using your smartphone to track workouts. If you decide to track workouts using your smart-watch, please note that we will not be able to assist with any technical difficulties you might encounter.
- Click on the three dots at the bottom right of the screen to access and choose “Apps and Devices.”
- Choose from the list of smart-watch devices below and pair your watch with the Map My Fitness app.
How to track your results in the challenge
- Click on the trophy icon at the bottom of the screen and select “My
- Choose “Chatham County Challenge” to access the leaderboard.
- Results will be automatically logged and updated as each participant finishes an activity. The results will be listed in order from the person with the greatest distance in first place to the person with the least amount of distance in last place.
- Once the challenge is complete you can log in again to check the status and view your final results.