Pittsboro, NC – Chatham County Parks & Recreation joins with other agencies in urging residents to “Lace Up & Go” on National Walking Day slated for Wednesday, April 4, 2018. Several walking events at different times and locations are slated throughout the county to encourage people to take 30 minutes out of the day to walk.
Other event co-sponsors are the Chatham County Council on Aging, town of Siler City, town of Pittsboro and Chatham’s Public Health Department. The national sponsor, the American Heart Association, started National Walking day to remind people of the many health benefits of taking a walk.
“The event helps raise awareness of the many ways taking a daily walk can improve your health,” said County Recreation Director Tracy Burnett. “Walks also can be a great time to bond with family and friends. You can celebrate National Walking Day at the workplace, schools and your community. The important thing is to get out your sneakers and walk.”
Liz Lahti from the Council on Aging adds, “Walking is one of the best exercises for seniors. It improves heart health, lowers blood sugar, reduces pain and boosts mental health. Come out and join us for a walk on April 4 to reap these and other benefits. ”
The April 4th Walking Day schedule in Chatham County is:
- 9 AM: Eastern Chatham Senior Center, 365 Hwy 87, Pittsboro
- 10:30 AM: Western Senior Center, 112 Village Lake Rd, Siler City
- NOON: Siler City Health Department, 1000 S Tenth Ave, walking to Paul Braxton Park, 1000 S Tenth Ave, Siler City
- NOON: Pittsboro Judicial Center, 40 E Chatham St, Pittsboro (this one will include giveaways from the Chatham YMCA)
- NOON: Chatham County’s Northwest District Park, 2413 Woody Store Rd, Siler City
- 4 PM: Rock Ridge Park, 1397 Old Sanford Rd, Moncure NC (this walk includes tree identification opportunities as well)
- 5:30 PM: Loves Creek Greenway (meet at Bray Park parking lot), 200 Bray Park Complex Dr, Siler City
- 5:30 PM: Chatham County Northeast District Park, 5408 Bog Woods Rd, Chapel Hill
- 5:30 PM: Central Carolina Community College – Pittsboro Campus, 764 West St, Pittsboro
- 5:30 PM: Chatham County Southwest District Park, 15124 NC Hwy 902 (near Chatham Central High School), Bear Creek