St. Julia parish celebrates 50th anniversary

The Catholic Community of St. Julia in Siler City, NC, celebrated its 50th anniversary June 5, 2011. The first Catholic Mass offered in Siler City was in 1953 in the home of Mrs. Charles Ellis, a gracious Baptist relative of Rudy and Katherine Dudek. A handful of families, among them the Dudeks, Dugans and McInerneys, eventually acquired several small parcels of land on West Third Street, and a mission church was built there in 1961. The Most Reverend Vincent S. Waters dedicated St. Julia Church that year.