Raleigh, NC – Third-ranked and top-seeded NC State women’s basketball (29-3) begins 2022 NCAA Women’s Tournament action on Saturday afternoon as it hosts 16th-seeded Longwood (22-11) in Raleigh. Tip-off between the Wolfpack and the Lancers is scheduled for 2 p.m. on Kay Yow Court inside Valvano Arena at Reynolds Coliseum.
The game will be televised nationally on ESPN with Sam Ravech and Kelly Gramlich on the call. Andrew Sanders and Ernie Myers will also have the radio call on WKNC 88.1 FM in Raleigh.
Tickets for Saturday are good for both games in the first-round session. Eighth-seeded Washington State and ninth-seeded Kansas State will play at 11:30 a.m. NC State and Longwood will tip off at 2 p.m. (or 30 minutes after the conclusion of the first game).
Parking for the general public is available in the Coliseum Deck. Season ticket holder permits are NOT available for this event. Limited handicap parking will be available in Jeter Bays on game day.
Wolfpack fans are invited to attend a Pregame Fan Fest before Saturday’s games to pick up a cheer sign and get their picture taken with the ACC trophies. The Fan Fest will run from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and will take place under the white tent between the Case Building and the Coliseum Parking Deck.
A WIN ON SATURDAY WOULD
• Mark NC State’s fifth NCAA Tournament first-round win in a row
• Be NC State’s 30th of the season, marking the first 30-win campaign in program history
• Be the 966th win in program history (995-477)
• Be head coach Wes Moore‘s 778th career win (777-237)
• Be Moore’s 220th win at NC State (219-68)
• Be the Wolfpack’s 27th NCAA Tournament win of all time (26-26)
• Extend NC State’s winning streak to 11 games and put its home winning streak at 10 games
• 2022 marks NC State’s 27th overall NCAA Tournament appearance in program history and its sixth under the leadership of Coach Moore.
• The Pack earned a No. 1 seed for the second season in a row. Last year’s No. 1 seed was the first in program history.
• The Wolfpack has been selected to compete in the NCAA Tournament five times in a row. That is the longest such streak for the team since it went to six in a row from 1995 through 2001.
• NC State has advanced out of the first round in each of its last four NCAA Tournament appearances.
• The Pack concluded its 2021-22 campaign in the Sweet 16, making its third consecutive appearance in that round for the first time since 1989, 1990 and 1991.
NC State was an automatic qualifier for the 2022 NCAA Tournament after punching its ticket with a victory in the ACC Tournament title game. The championship win marked the Pack’s third in a row, and NC State became the fifth team in league history to string together at least three-straight ACC Tournament titles. The Wolfpack swept the tournament and regular-season crowns for the third time in program history and the first time since 1984-85. The regular-season championship was the first for the program since 1990.
NOTING THE WOLFPACK (29-3)
• NC State was ranked No. 3 in the final Associated Press Top 25 release of the season to tie the program’s best final AP ranking in history. The Wolfpack has been featured in the season-ending AP Top 10 four seasons in a row, extending its program-best streak.
• Prior to the start of 2022 NCAA Tournament action, the Wolfpack is in the national top 25 in:
6th in scoring margin (+19.3)
7th in field-goal percentage (.465)
7th in defensive rebounds per game (30.2)
10th in three-point percentage (.369)
10th in rebound margin (+9.3)
14th in fewest turnovers per game (12.3)
15th in scoring offense (76.4)
15th in rebounds per game (42.2)
21st in field-goal percentage defense (.356)
24th in assist-turnover ratio (1.2)
• NC State has eight players who are shooting 40+ percent from the field (min. 80 shot attempts). That number ranks second nationally.
• The Wolfpack has earned eight wins over ranked opponents in 2021-22. That ties as a single-season program record. NC State has defeated eight ranked teams in a single season just one other time in program history (1979-80).
SERIES HISTORY WITH THE LANCERS (NC State leads 3-0)
• Saturday’s meeting with Longwood marks the teams’ fourth matchup of all time.
• NC State and Longwood have not met in the Coach Moore era.
• The Wolfpack’s three victories over Longwood have all been on its home court and by an average of 46.7 points.
• NC State has hit the century mark in two of three games against Longwood.