Pittsboro, NC – In recognition of Women’s History Month in March, Chatham Community Library will host a virtual film screening of Patsy Mink: Ahead of the Majority (2008). This program is free and open to the public.
WHAT: Virtual Film Screening: Patsy Mink: Ahead of the Majority
WHEN: Thursday, March 10 – Thursday, March 17, 2022
WHERE: Virtual Program (see registration details below)
WHO: In 1965, Patsy Takemoto Mink became the first woman of color in the United States Congress. Seven years later, she ran for the US presidency and was the driving force behind Title IX, the landmark legislation that transformed women’s opportunities in higher education and athletics. As an Asian American woman, Mink fought racism and sexism while redefining US politics.
Film highlights and awards include:
* Hawaii International Film Festival, Audience Award: Favorite Documentary
* San Joaquin International Film Festival, Spirit of Humanity Award
* Honolulu International Film Festival, Best Documentary, Gold Kahuna Award, Best Hawaiian Film
* San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival, Comcast Audience Award: Best Documentary Feature
* International Women’s Day Film Festival, Finalist: Cross Culture Ambassador Award
* DisOrient Asian American Film Festival, Grand Jury Prize: Best Feature
* Gate City Women’s Film Festival, Blue Magnolia Award: Best in Festival
* Zora Neale Hurston Award: Best Documentary Film
* Bennett Spirit Award: Most Positive Portrayal of a Woman
* CINE Golden Eagle Award, Documentary Short, Independent Division
Access to the virtual screening will be available beginning Thursday, March 10, by visiting here
A password is required at the time of viewing. Those who are interested may contact to request the password or for additional information. The library has purchased a hard copy of the film if residents who wish to see the film miss the virtual screening window.
Residents may also visit the libraries’ website or contact the Library at (919) 545-8084 or
for more information on this and
other events and programs.