Pittsboro, NC – The Chatham County Republican Party is being criticized by some for hosting a raffle for two firearms. Here are the facts:
1. The Chatham GOP is revulsed and dismayed at the recent criminal mass shootings. Such actions must stop.
2. We support the Constitution. We believe the Bill of Rights amendments are all equally important to our freedoms – and this includes the 2nd Amendment. We disapprove of gun confiscation or any further restrictions on legal gun owners.
3. Many political and fraternal organizations conduct fundraisers that raffle legal firearms. We are not alone in conducting gun raffles.
4. Chatham County is a southern rural county and many of its citizens – Republican, Democrat, or Independent – have and use firearms for target shooting and for hunting. The two kinds of firearms in our raffle, a modern sporting rifle and a shotgun, are widely owned. Many Chatham citizens would like to win one of these firearms.
5. Our raffle winner will have to comply with all federal and state gun laws, including all background checks. The raffle firearms will always be under the control of our federally licensed firearms dealer or the ultimate legal owner.
6. Fearrington Village does not allow fundraising for political events at the Barn. We respect their wishes. We will not sell raffle tickets nor hold the raffle drawing at our September 10 Meet-the-Candidate event at the Fearrington Barn. We will draw the winning tickets later this fall.
7. Should any U.S. citizen wish to purchase a ticket for this drawing, simply send an email to and we will be glad to accommodate you.
8. We anticipate a large crowd at our meet-the-candidate event. If you plan to attend, please RSVP here.