Moncure, NC – Mike Cross has dedicated the past eleven years of his life in service to Chatham County as commissioner from the 2nd District.
We all recognize the county has expanded this century. A commissioner’s job is no long a few hours a week and a single meeting once a month, as it was in the ’80s. That Mike is willing to continue his service to Chatham is a gift to all of us.
If you have an interest in the County’s future and don’t already know Mike, please invest a few moments and review some of his campaign material below; particularly the fourth paragraph on why he is willing to take on another four years. Then consider what the loss of his experience, balanced judgement, and above all, basic common sense would mean for Chatham; especially in the face of the County’s inevitable increasing growth.
More information from Mike is available at http://cross4chatham.blogspot.
*A commitment to service. As a retired U.S. Navy Commander and Vietnam Veteran, I know what it means to serve. As your Commissioner these past 11 years, I made it my job to show up every day for every meeting well prepared. I have spent hundreds of hours preparing for key decisions, meeting with citizens (in person, over email, and on the phone), working with town leaders, and participating in regional and state wide organizations and meetings. Included is a listing of my National, State, Regional and Local assignments which addresses my experience as your Commissioner.
*A commitment to results. I have worked hard to serve all the people of Chatham County. I am particularly proud of holding the line on the tax rate while achieving and maintaining a Triple-A Bond Rating for Chatham; increasing school funding, teacher and county employee salaries; supporting the Historic Court House/Museum, new Library, Justice Center, Detention Center, and Agricultural Conference Center capital projects; engaging in joint initiatives with our towns and municipalities in gaining Certification for our Chatham-Siler City Advanced Manufacturing Site and in the progress seeking Certification for our Moncure-Merry Oaks Site. I strongly supported Mrs. Renee Paschal as our new County Manager. As Assistant Manager for 20 years, Renee has worked tirelessly for Chatham and has earned our trust and the job.
*In areas outside of the direct influence of the Chatham County Commissioner control, I have exercised my position to the betterment of Chatham County, including voting for the County Commissioner 2 year Moratorium on fracking. With regard to the Duke Energy coal ash site, mandated by the State Legislature to be located in Chatham, I helped negotiate an $18.8 million agreement with Duke Energy to include ongoing independent site monitoring and cleanup of the Moncure Cape Fear coal ash site. Chatham needs to be protected.
*Why I want to continue. I am honored to serve you on the Board of County Commissioners. In my Oath of Office, I swore to conduct our business “without fear or favor” . I have kept that promise.. I love Chatham County and its people. I am a sixth generation resident of the Moncure community. I started my political life working to protect the residents of the Moncure area from a regional land fill; a facility that would have made Chatham the dump for the region. My results have made it clear that I can work effectively with people with similar or differing political positions. My primary focus has always been new jobs, education, new development, our farming community, our environment and County services. As we continue to grow, I will continue to be protective of our environment, be an advocate for our people, and preserve the special place that is Chatham County.
I serve or have served on the following National, State, Regional & County Boards and Committees:
* National Association of Counties: Voting delegate (2005-current) Headquartered on Capitol Hill, NACo is the only national organization representing counties in the United States.
* N. C. Joint Legislative Commission on Municipal Incorporations: Appointed by House Speaker Joe Hackney. Served three 2-year terms (’07 – ’12). Make recommendations to the General Assembly.
* N. C. Association of County Commissioners: all 100 Counties. Board of Directors (’05 – ’12), Co-Chair Legislative Goals Committee (’08 – ’12), Tax and Finance Steering Committee (’09 – current), Board of Delegates (’05 – current), Chatham Legislative Liaison (’05 – current), Speakers Bureau (’06 – current), District 9 Director (Chatham, Orange, Durham, Wake, Lee, Johnston, Moore, (’06 – ’07).
Premier Legislative Advocacy Award
* North Carolina Joint Regional Forum : TJCOG Delegate ( ’12 – ’14). Advises and advocates for creative regional solutions to statewide issues. Each of the 16 NC COG’s is assigned one delegate.
* Research Triangle Regional Partnership: (Chatham, Durham, Franklin, Granville, Harnett, Johnston, Lee, Moore, Orange, Person, Vance, Wake, Warren, Edgecombe, Nash and Wilson).
A business-driven organization dedicated to keeping the Research Triangle competitive through business, government and educational collaboration. Board of Directors (’11-current).
* Triangle J Council of Governments: (Chatham, Orange, Durham, Wake, Lee, Moore and Johnston)
Executive Committee (’05 – ’14), Immediate Past Chair (’11 – ’12), Chairman (’10 -’11), Legislative Goals Committee (’08 – ’12), Vice Chair (’09 – ’10), Second Vice Chair (’07 – ’09).
* Cape Fear River Assembly: Board of Directors (’12 – ’14), Provides for the highest quality of life possible for the residents of the Cape Fear River Basin through the proper management of the Cape Fear River, her tributaries and adjacent land use.
* Sprott Youth Center, Moncure: Board of Directors (’11- ’15). Liaison for 500K Rehabilitation Project.
* Metropolitan Planning Organization: (Chatham, Orange, Durham, Carrboro, Chapel Hill, Hillsborough and NC Department of Transportation), Executive Committee (’05 – ’06).
* Regional Planning Organization: (Chatham, Orange, Lee and Moore counties) Chairman (’06-’07), Executive Committee (’05 – ’07), Alternate Voter (’07 – ’12).
* Orange, Person, Chatham Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse Authority: Executive Committee (’05 – ’06), Vice-Chairman (’05 – ’06).
* Regional Mental Health, LME: Vice-Chairman (’06), Executive Committee (’05 – ’06).
* Orange-Chatham Justice Partnership: Executive Committee (’05 – ’06), Co-Chairman (’05 – ’06).
* Chatham County Affordable Housing Task Force: BOC Liaison – Co-founder (’05 – ’06).
Habitat for Humanity Distinguished Service Award
* Home and Community Block Grant Committee: Executive Committee (’05 – ’06, ’11 – current).
* Affordable Housing Committee: BOC Liaison (’11 -’13).
* Solid Waste Advisory Committee: BOC Liaison (’11 – current).
* Chatham Alcohol and Beverage Control Board: BOC Liaison (’06 -’10, ’14-current).
* Chatham Board of Elections: BOC Liaison (’06 – ’10).
* Courts Operation/Security: Judicial District 15B: BOC Liaison (’06 – current).
* Enhanced 911 Committee: BOC Liaison (’06 – ’10).
* Local Emergency Planning Committee: BOC Liaison