Pittsboro, NC – Chatham Habitat for Humanity relies on volunteers for everything from answering phones to running the cash registers at the ReStore, and yes, swinging hammers to build houses. We have some specific needs, and you may be the perfect fit! Read on to learn more about the exciting opportunities available.
· Sewing Bee – Our Sewing Bee meets every 3rd Wednesday of the month from 8-3 at the Chatham Habitat office in Pittsboro. These are volunteers who love to sew and would like to use this skill to help Chatham Habitat for Humanity build affordable houses. They came together about two years ago and started making pillows, aprons, table runners and napkins, baby blankets, baby bibs, and other kinds of handmade goods. They have fun designing and sewing new items to be sold at our Habitat ReStore, and they bring a pot luck dish for lunch where they enjoy their time of fellowship. We would love to add some new members to this group.
· Landscaping Crew – Every house that Habitat builds is finished by this group – they meet for one day and landscape the yards of each house to make sure that the homes look beautiful when the families move in. They choose decorative and functional plants, all of which are specifically designed to meet the needs of the space and the homeowners. We would love to have more people who love to garden get involved with this crew.
· ReStores – Both of our ReStores are located in Pittsboro, and we rely on volunteers to keep things running smoothly. Volunteers help price donations to be sold, organize and design displays on the sales floor, unloading and moving furniture, helping customers load their cars, and working the cash registers. Volunteering in the ReStore is a great social activity – you’ll make new friends and meet new people every day.
· Office Volunteers – We are always in need of volunteers who are willing to give a few hours per day, at least once or twice/week, to work in the our office alongside staff. Volunteers are needed to help answer phones and greet clients, take applications from potential homeowners, make phone calls to applicants, data entry, stuff envelopes, and organize closets and supplies. Spanish fluency is a big plus.
· Construction Work – Our construction team works every Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday from 8:30 am until 12:30 pm during the summer months, and 8:30 am until 3:30 pm after Labor Day. We are currently building two Habitat houses in Siler City on North Chatham Avenue. No special skills are needed, just a willingness to learn and work hard! Must be over sixteen to work on site.
If you are interested in any of these opportunities, or would like to schedule a volunteer work day for your church group or civic organization, contact Mechelle Thompson today by phone at (919) 542-0794 x228 or by email at