Pittsboro, NC – Effective today, March 1, 2016, all Chatham County government grounds are tobacco free. The policy covers any property that is owned, leased, or maintained by the county. This includes any county vehicle, county buildings, and county property, including the Chatham County parks system.
Tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure are leading preventable causes of illness and premature death in North Carolina and the nation. Chatham County is committed to ensuring that staff, residents, and visitors can avoid the risks associated with tobacco while on county grounds.
For more information about the policy and resources to help those who would like to quit using tobacco, visit:www.chathamnc.org/tobaccofree
If you are interested in tobacco cessation services or would like to know more about the updated tobacco policy, please call the Chatham County Tobacco Helpline at 919-545-8376.
- Tobacco Cessation Resources
- Information on Electronic Cigarettes
- Youth Tobacco Prevention
- Secondhand Smoke Exposure (Source: NC Division of Health and Human Services) http://www.tobaccopreventionandcontrol.ncdhhs.gov/shs/index.htm
- Smoking and Health Effects (Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/index.htm
- Electronic Cigarettes Key Findings (Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/youth-intentions/index.htm
- Electronic Cigarettes (Source: NC Division of Health and Human Services) http://www.tobaccopreventionandcontrol.ncdhhs.gov/ecigs/
- For help quitting tobacco use, call toll free 1-800-QUIT-NOW or visit www.QuitlineNC.com